Saturday, March 26, 2011

No fuss, flavorful couscous salad

I am not a salad person. Sad, but true... However, I am trying to work on my salad eating skills! Yesterday, for lunch, I got a bowl of ready-to-go couscous salad from the store. I loved the flavors and what caught my attention was the combination of couscous and chickpeas. Really delicious....I then recreated the salad with a hint of cumin and coriander spices and it gave a magical touch to my salad. Working with couscous is so easy. No fuss at all!

Ingredients-

couscous - 1 cup
1 small red onion- chopped finely
chick peas -1/2 cup
carrot - 1/2 cup shredded
parsley - 1 tbsp
1/2 cup shredded celery
garlic- 2 cloves (finely chopped)
ginger - grated, 1/2 tsp
salt (according to taste)
cumin seeds - 1 tsp (crushed lightly)
coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
lemon juice - 2 tbsp
olive oil - 3 tbsp
crushed black pepper- 1/2 tsp

Preparation-

Place couscous in a large bowl. Bring around 1 1/2 cups of water to boil. As the water starts boiling, remove from fire and pour it over couscous and cover the bowl. Allow it to steam for five minutes. Couscous will absorb the water and soften. After five minutes, gently separate the couscous grains with a fork and ensure they are not sticky. Add carrots, onion, garlic, ginger, parsley, chickpeas and celery. Toss the couscous well with the vegetables and chickpeas. In a separate bowl, mix lemon juice, olive oil, coriander powder, crushed cumin seeds, black pepper and salt. Combine well, till the spices are incorporated in the oil. Pour this oil mixture to couscous and mix them thoroughly. Serve and enjoy your salad!




29 comments:

  1. A very nice and colourful salad.I want to crab that bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Suchi,

    Yummybowl of salad...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very new and yummy looking salad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks colorful and delicious dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very colorful looking bowl Suchi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wat a fantastic recipe...sounds delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salad looks wonderfully prepared and colorful. Great recipe.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salad looks absolutely delicious and filling..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a nice- simple cous cous salad..this looks filling n appetizing!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yummy!!! A great starter salad..
    I am here for first time, happy following you.

    Valar
    http://valarskitchen-basics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a healthy and delicious salad! The spices that you added must make it really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just wanna grab the whole bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The salad looks incredibly inviting - lovely delicate colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like to eat salads, however I really, really don't like to make them. If someone would make them for me I'd eat them every day, even twice a day!
    This one is right up my alley, fresh and easy. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely it looks suchu! will love to finish tht off-slurp !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely couscous dish! Nice and colorful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant! I'm like you in that I'm always trying to eat more salad, yet I LOVE cous cous. Guess what I'll be making this week? XO

    ReplyDelete
  19. have never had a salad like this...but as you say the tastes seem to complement each other so well.

    where are you?? all fine?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have shared an award with you. please collect it from my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great healthy salad..Please visit my blog for some awards.
    Bhalo Khabo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the addition of all the spices in your couscous salad.

    ReplyDelete
  23. so good to hear from you...arre, drop in a word jii, tht you're gonna get lost for a while :) we bloggie frens do care at least a bit. thnx for dropping by. great to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  24. deliciously done couscous flavourful

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks sooo fresh, flavorful and Deeeelish!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...