Saturday, September 4, 2010

Bring on the cabbage...

Cabbage is one vegetable which never catches my attention- I will go to the market and be interested in all the vegetables except cabbage. Never got around to know that vegetable, may be? Did you know that cabbage is a good source of vitamin c and contains a great deal of roughage! So finally, I swing by the market and get a big cabbage and cook it south Indian style- Enjoy!



What do we need?


1 big sized cabbage ( chopped)
mustard seeds (1 tsp)
cooking oil
curry leaves
turmeric powder (1/2 tsp)
chilli powder (3/4 tsp)
salt (according to taste)
broken dried red chilli pieces (3-4)
1 cup grated coconut

How did I put together?


The tough part is chopping the cabbage. Once done, cooking is just a matter of time...In a wok add oil and allow the mustard seeds to sputter. Add chilli pieces and chopped curry leaves. Toss in the chopped cabbage and allow it to cook on a low flame. I will sprinkle a little bit of water and cover the wok till the cabbage cooks and becomes soft. Do not put too much water otherwise the cabbage becomes soggy. As the cabbage becomes tender, add turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and grated coconut. Mix thoroughly with a little bit of cooking oil. Enjoy with rice or rotis!


My mom is my inspiration and is the worst critic of my cooking- She looks at my post and says, this looks fine but you could have done it a bit differently. So I go, how different? She said, you need to chop the cabbage super fine (which apparently I haven't done in my recipe) and second instead of sprinkling water and cooking your cabbage, use liberal dose of oil to make it more sleek. I defended my cooking saying it is a healthier version. She wouldn't let me go so easily and said to compensate for the extra oil, you could omit the coconut. Okay, the final verdict is- you can do so many variations with this dish- Some add peanuts, yellow lentils (chana dal), green peas and some may choose to omit coconut powder. As usual, be creative and don't be afraid to bend the rules with cooking!

10 comments:

  1. wow we make it exactly the same way but the amount of turmeric is reduced
    delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suchitra,

    Nice recipe...I also dont like it very much but we have to eat all vegetables!!!

    Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is delicious! I make it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, cabbage is barely ever made it to my grocery shopping list. The way you cook it with curry powder and coconut makes me want to try it too though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Suchitra,
    First time here..you have a beautiful collection of recipes..
    Cabbage is one of my fav veggie n this one looks delicious !!
    do drop by my space sometime.
    aipi
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! Like you, I often overlook cabbage in favourite of more interesting vegetables, but it is very healthy and I can imagine it goes wonderfully well with your spice combination

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cabbage is usually an ingredient I overlook as well, and I rarely make/eat Indian food. This is definitely an outside the box recipe for me, but looks great and is definitely something new I'd like to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i make it exactly the same way---- nice work !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm. i rarely eat cabbage outside of eastern european and mexican dishes! i'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...